May we add you to our email lists?
Please select at least one.
- plays both 16-17 and 36-37. Alice at age 36-37 is an editor of a southern literary magazine; intelligent, attractive, professional – but with an air of melancholy. Young Alice at age 16-17 is rebellious, high-spirited, adventurous – looking to break out of small-town life and experience the world. Vocal Range: Mezzo-Soprano, F3-C5
- a young soldier returning home from WWII; an aspiring young writer; fresh, open, optimistic, charming, and a little naïve. Vocal Range: Tenor, C3-A4
- Billy’s father. A widower. Spry, good looking. Kind hearted, if a bit lonely. Vocal Range: Tenor, C3-A4
- a small-town bookstore owner; a childhood friend of Billy’s who now harbors romantic feelings towards him; a natural beauty with a keen intellect. Vocal Range: Soprano, B3-F#5
- The flamboyant assistant at a literary magazine. Funny, with a dry and officious sense of humor. Insecure, and perhaps a bit socially awkward, but endearing and innately likable. Vocal Range: Tenor/Baritone, C3-E4
- A junior editor at a literary magazine. An ambitious, professional young “modern” career woman of the 1940’s. Strong, forthright and provocative with a sharp sense of humor. Vocal Range: Soprano, A3-D5
- plays both age 18-20 and 38-40. Jimmy Ray in his early 20s in flashbacks is Mayor Dobbs’ son and young Alice’s beau; handsome, boyishly charming, well-built and intelligent; from a family of wealth and power and is being groomed by his father for a similar future in the family business; an independent thinker who is not afraid to stand up to his father for what he believes in; he has a sense of personal responsibility and morality as well as a deep reserve of passion and emotion. Vocal Range: Tenor, C3-A4
- Alice’s mother. A caretaker to her family and her rural community. A warm, loving, sensible woman. Hardworking, with great inner strength and compassion. Vocal Range: Mezzo-Soprano, G3-C5
- Alice’s father; an authoritative and a stern disciplinarian; devoutly religious, hard-working, a poor but proud farmer. Vocal Range: Baritone, A2-G4
- the Mayor of Zebulon; a political and financial powerbroker – distinguished, an imposing and controlling presence; has a genuine interest in protecting his son’s future and his family name, but in doing so, is ultimately pushed to a point of extreme and irrevocable cruelty. Vocal Range: Baritone, A2-G4
- An employee at Margo’s bookstore. Part of the ensemble, Mezzo-Soprano
- an employee at Margo’s bookstore and a childhood friend of both Billy and Margo. Part of the ensemble, Mezzo-Soprano
- a customer at Margo’s bookstore, at first, he has a crush on Margo, but later becomes Edna’s beau. Part of the ensemble, Speaking Role
- Loyal assistant to Mayor Josiah Dobbs. Part of the ensemble, Tenor/Baritone
- The local family doctor in Zebulon. Part of the ensemble, Speaking Role
- A clerk at the Office of Records in Raleigh. Part of the ensemble, Speaking Role
- A woman (38-40) living in Raleigh. Part of the ensemble, Speaking Role
- Guides for the show, appearing throughout the ‘20s and ‘40s. Looking for strong singers and movers ages 16+: Include - Dr. Norquist, Edna, Florence, Government Clerk, Max, Stanford, Well-Dressed Woman
By digitally signing below, I agree to the Model Release.
(This is your permission to Artisan Center Theater for us to use and publish your pictures and videos on our website and in the program or other places. As always, we promise to do this professionally and tastefully.)
I hereby grant to Artisan Productions Inc. and its legal representatives, successors, assigns, licensees, advertising agencies, and all persons or corporations acting with its permission, the right to use, re-use, publish and re-publish, and copyright my performance, likeness, picture, portrait, photograph, sound and/or voice recording, including the negatives, transparencies, prints, film, video, tapes, digital or other information pertaining to them in all forms of media now or hereafter known and in all manner, including electronic media, in still, single, multiple, moving or video format, in whole or part and/or composite representations, in conjunction my own or a fictitious name, including alterations, modifications, derivations and composites thereof, throughout the world for advertising, promotion, trade, or any lawful purposes.