Women's One Acts 2019 Submission Guidelines
Eden Prairie Players
This production is no longer accepting submissions.
Plays must be submitted as a PDF file. Plays may be submitted by the playwright only. Each playwright is allowed to submit 3 plays. If a play was written by more than one person, be sure this is reflected in the Credited playwrights field.
Submitted plays must be at most 30 minutes in length.
Submissions will close when a maximum number of submissions is reached.
In the selection process, the play will be made available through TheaterForms to reviewers authorized by Eden Prairie Players. By submitting the play, the playwright gives permission for this usage. The playwright must be free to give this permission and to accept licensing terms offered by Eden Prairie Players if the play is selected, for any submitted play. (If a play is published after being submitted, and it is selected for Women's One Acts 2019, Eden Prairie Players will have the choice of accepting the publisher's licensing terms or choosing an alternate submission.)
- Playwrights must identify as female.
- Open to playwrights worldwide, but plays must be aimed at an English-speaking audience.
- We are seeking unpublished one-act plays: dramas, comedies, etc. (previously-produced or stage readings OK)
- Plays must include significant roles for women. Significant refers to roles that are important to the plot. This could mean a female lead character or at least equal representation.
- Length 30 minutes or under (we typically select most in the 10-25 minute range).
- Submit through the online submission form (submit separate form for each play):
- Playwright contact information - name, email, address, phone.
- Name of play.
- Approximate duration.
- List of characters / descriptions: age, gender, race if specified, etc. (please list allowable deviations)
- Short synopsis of the play, including a description of recommended set pieces and props
- Has it been performed before? Where?
- Would you like to be considered to direct your play? You would need to be in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
- After the form is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email.
- Plays will be reviewed on a first come-first served basis. We limit consideration to an arbitrary number of plays, so submissions will be closed after we reach that limit.
- Selected plays will be paid a royalty per performance. Plays that are 10 minutes and under will be paid a royalty of $20 per performance and plays that are over 10 minutes will be paid a royalty of $30 per performance. Royalty rate offered will be determined by our own timing of the play at a table reading. We plan to have 5 performances, although this could change.
- No compensation for selection process: By submitting your play(s) for consideration, you give Eden Prairie Players permission to distribute to reviewers as needed for the selection process. You also give permission for your play to be performed without payment at an unrehearsed table readings as part of the selection process.
Q: Are works by international playwrights accepted?
Q: Is this replacing the Collection of One Acts you produce in the fall, that is open to all playwrights?
A: No. Submissions for the regular Collection of One Acts will open this Fall.
Q: How are plays selected?
A: We provide access to each play for one or more authorized reviewers to read and rate as part of the selection process. Plays are narrowed down to a smaller subset of candidate plays. From this subset, plays are read at a public table reading and selected by our advisory committee.
Q: What format should I use for the play?
A: We only accept play files in PDF format.
Q: How can I convert my play to PDF?
A: There are several ways to convert your play to PDF:
- Most modern word processors have a Save as PDF or Export to PDF command.
- If you use Mac OS X, and your application doesn’t have one of these commands, you can save any file to PDF using the Print command and the PDF button in the Print dialog. This feature is built into the operating system and works with any application that has a Print command.
- Google Docs is a free service from Google at docs.google.com. This service has many useful features for writers, including online storage (through the integrated Google Drive service), sharing, and collaborative editing of documents. It also allows you to upload files from Word or other applications to convert them to Google Docs. And Google Docs has a Download as PDF feature.
Q. What about language in my play?
A: While we bill these productions as intended for mature audiences due to subject matter and language, we strongly consider what our audience's reaction to each piece will be.
Q. What if my play is published after I submit it?
A: If your play is published after submission, please notify us as soon as possible. Publication status will be taken into consideration during the selection process.
Q: How long has WOA! produced unpublished one-acts?
A: The Women’s One Act festival premiered in 2018. EPP has been producing unpublished works as part of our Collection of One Acts since 2010, and it was immediately successful. We hope to carry that enthusiasm forward each year by continuing to introduce our audience to fresh new works written by exciting playwrights. Thank you for your hard work, we are honored that you are considering Women’s One Act festival for your submission!